3 NON TOURISTY PLACES TO EAT IN NYC


One of the best things about New York is definitely the food, dribble dribble. However I often find touristy spots are crowded, overpriced and generally lacking in good quality food. 

Luckily for me, my friends live in NYC so I experience the best of the best (in my opinion but I'm right lol) and we usually only eat at places that are undiscovered & family run.

When I'm visiting, I try and immerse myself into what real New Yorkers live like, as authentic culture, wherever I am, is really important to me. So on that note..

Here are 3 absolutely amazing places to eat in NYC that tourists don't particularly know of.. yet! 


For brunch.





Solomon & Kuff | Harlem New York, 2331 12th Avenue | Caribbean Cuisine
If you love boozy brunches (the rum cocktails were so strong I almost died lol) dancehall and bashment music, plus insanely great food - this is where you need to be. Located in the heart of Harlem, right near the river, Solomon & Kuff puts the perfect Caribbean twist on traditional stateside brunches. Adding jerk seasoning to their chicken batter & using yams as their starch in pancakes, its definitely a place that ticks off all your taste bud requirements.

I opted for the chicken & waffles, which came with a side of hot sauce, a jug of maple syrup & topped with walnuts and bananas. Taking the whole savoury and sweet thang to different heights. Great taste, great portions & great atmosphere. The chicken was perfectly golden and crunchy on the outside too- yum!

The only disappointment was the service. Our waitress was super lazy and gave off the opinion that she just didn't want to be there. I'd still go back though ;)


For lunch.




Cafe Rue Dix | 1451 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY | French & Seneglasçe Cuisine
After waking up from a nap my girlfriend Akua said to me 'Grace, I really need the best french toast in New York so lets go to Brooklyn'. Me being me was obviously all over it, so off we went. On a quiet (as quiet as Brooklyn can be) residential street, a cute, little spot called Cafe Rue Dix can be found. With distinctive and unique herbal teas on the menu, as well as traditional african decor dotted around, its a far cry from New York City's typical tourist diners. 

Me and Akua shared the french toast as well as a salmon omelette with avo on toast and a side of fries (we like to eat lol). Although I wasn't a fan of the omelette (not a fan of omelettes in general) the avo on toast was so.much.yes. Spicy and tangy & perfectly ripe. But the icing on the bread (did ya see what I did there?) was definitely the french toast. Super sweet but not too sickly, bursting with flavour and drizzled in some sort of maple syrup/creme caramel hybrid, it was honestly an absolute joy to devour. 

A place filled with character, friendly staff and affordable prices. Winner winner!


For dinner.





Pilar Cuban Eatery | 397 Greene Ave, Bed Stuy, Brooklyn | Cuban & Spanish Cuisine
Words will never describe just how INCREDIBLEEEEE this meal was. Pilar Cuban Eatery is an authentic Cuban & Spanish restaurant, again, situated in Brooklyn. We originally planned to go here for brunch but we didn't arrive until 4pm lol. 

My dish - VACA FRITA! if you visit, you must order it. Steak, rice, beans & avocado - a combination I didn't know I needed in my life, until I tried it. I have no idea what they put on their steak or avo but they were legit one of the tastiest things I have ever eaten. My entire meal was super flavoursome, rich but not heavy & downright moreish. The steak was proper juicy and cooked to perfection. I was so impressed with this spot and really recommend it if you want simple, authentic but delicious Cuban food.

Now for dessert.. We ordered 3 because we're fat and fabulous and love to eat haha. Guava cream cheese pie, passionfruit flan & churros. Now tbh, I really didn't enjoy these desserts. The consistency of flan makes me want to die LOL and cream cheese in a dessert just doesn't sit well with me or my stomach lol (unless its cheesecake obvs). The churros were okay, but nothing special. Im really picky with desserts and theres plenty of other places in NYC that do desserts better. 

I loved the fresh & colourful interior of this restaurant and the outside seating area is super cute too!



Im hoping to go back to NYC for New Years Eve and I will definitely try and re-vist one of the above places. Hope you liked this post my babes.



Share:

6 comments

  1. those desserts look like they had so much potential! I love flans so I bet I would have enjoyed that :) really good options of places to eat here!
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks lovely! When i went i couldnt get enough of Dallas BBQ and QDOBAS.... Tastes great but not healthy at all lol did you get mistaken for Dominican when you were over there? My sister and i kept meeting people why thought we were Dominican an thought out british accents were fake smh xfjx

    Itsfeliciajuliana.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely! When i went i couldnt get enough of Dallas BBQ and QDOBAS.... Tastes great but not healthy at all lol did you get mistaken for Dominican when you were over there? My sister and i kept meeting people why thought we were Dominican an thought out british accents were fake smh xfjx

    Itsfeliciajuliana.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited a forum here on the internet on the 17 APRIL 2016, and i saw a marvelous testimony of Tracie Aldana from United States on the forum about the good works DR OSEMU. I never believed it, because have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until DR OSEMU did a marvelous work for me that restored my marriage of 4 years by getting back my divorced wife just as i read on the internet. I was truly shocked when my wife knelt down pleading for forgiveness to accept her back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to DR OSEMU. For his a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of marriage. Here is his email if you need any kind of help. ( Doctorokpamenspelltemple@hotmail.com ), Website: www. doctorokpamenpowerfulspelltemple.webs.com, call and whats App him on +2348135254384.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my god that looks absolutely delicious. I definitely need to keep them in mind if I ever go to NY

    Love, Kerstin
    http://www.missgetaway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Real & Powerful love Spell to Get your ex back very fast online. My name is Claire Griffiths from UK, When my husband breakup with me, I was so frustrated and i could not know what next to do again, I love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him break up with me so that he can be able to get marred to the other lady and this lady i think use witchcraft on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my man until i went to London to see a friend and who was having the same problem with me but she latter got her husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster called Dr.Unity that he help with love spell in getting back lost lover back, and i decided to contact the same Dr.Unity and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 28hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one big family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity of Unityspelltemple@gmail.com, he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is best spell caster online who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are there and your lover is turning you down, or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr.Unity on his email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com or Add him up on Whats-app: +2348071622464, visit his website for more details:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

    ReplyDelete

rewardStyle: Homepage Feed

© Gracie Francesca | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig