WHAT NOT TO SAY TO SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION


Stop Being So Silly.
Mental health is not something to joke about. Calling someones emotions 'silly' no matter what they are, isn't okay. We are all entitled to feel anything without being made to feel stupid. When a person feels depressed they may already feel silly because they wish they didn't feel that way. The last thing someone needs is for others to make them feel guilty about it.

What Exactly Do You Have To Be Depressed About?
Depression, mental health, even cancer DO NOT DISCRIMINATE. Mental illness can come for anyone, whether you are rich, poor, black, white, tall, short, fat or thin. Yes - some factors of depression can be helped such as leaving a job or a toxic relationship but on a whole, depression can and will come for anyone. Please bare that in mind when you think that someone shouldn't be depressed because they're financial stable or they look like Kim K.

Just Try & Be Happy.
IF IT WAS THAT SIMPLE THEN THEY WOULD BE WOULDN'T THEY?! People with depression (myself included) try and be happy all the time. We hate the fact we can't get out of bed in the mornings, we hate that we cry ourselves to sleep at night and we hate even more that we can't just be f***ing happy and normal... like everyone else. 

You Don't Look Depressed.
What does depression look like? The best way to describe it is a grey cloud following you around everywhere, sometimes sunshine peeps through, other times the cloud turns black and it pours. What I'm trying to say is someone with depression, isn't crying and sad all the time. We do laugh, we do smile, but at the back of our minds is a constant grey cloud. 

Someone Else Is Worse Off Than You!
Just because someone else may have bigger problems, it does not disregard another persons. 

I have suffered with depression and other mental health problems and these are all things that have been said to me. Please think before you speak and try to be a little more understanding to someone who is suffering. Empathy and compassion are wonderful things! 

Share:

13 comments

  1. I absolutely love that cloud analogy, it's brilliant! And it's sad when people say 'you have nothing to be sad about'. You'd think in 2016 people would be more educated about this.

    Lyndsey | articletwentythree.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post which spreads a little awareness of just what it feels like - some people just find it difficult to understand don't they!

    Lucy | Forever September

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post Grace! x
    http://passionate-mind.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a shame to say that i've heard these all before, the people of todays society do not understand the pressure of these words. Being told by family and friends to realise that there are other people worse off makes me feel so devalued and that my issues are dismissed just because im not 'ill enough' and that so many people are worse off. I thank you Grace for writing this, i hope more people read this, especially ones who are not suffering mentally, just as an insight as to what they are saying and how it can effect people. You are an amazing blog writer, as you are a youtube content creator, also thankyou for your encouraging words at the start of the new year (like literally a couple of hours in), they have really kept me going! Keep up all your hard work, Lots of Love.. Jess Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was so helpful thankyou! It would also be great to talk about the opposite, like what to say to people with depression or how to comfort them? A close family member of mine has depression and I want to be as supportive as possible in all the right ways xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if you've already spoke about it :)

      Delete
  6. I love this I feel like some people say things to try and help but it only makes it 10x worse! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post been there heard them all and they really don't help
    Love the picture you used where's it from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. yikes, these really are bad! if you dont have nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all!
    Pam xo/ Pam Scalfi♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going through all of this right now. Surrounded by so many people and yet never felt so alone, as no-one really gets it. As a mum you are made to feel worse - how could you feel depressed when you have a beautiful child you need to think of? I think of him constantly, I love him madly,but every day I worry he will have this illness one day - I never want this for him :-( xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post, it's a great way to make people more aware of mental health issues and how to interact with someone in this situation. xx
    ~Eme
    www.peoniesandpassionfruit.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so brilliant! I love what you do grace.. You're Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I freaking LOVE this posts Gracie... I am from Barbados and I LOVE your blog and channel btw. However, i am currently suffering from depression but I'm way better than i was in the beginning of the year. But as i mentioned earlier I'm from Barbados and people here are a bit closed minded and never think before they speak and can be very insensitive at times. I have experience everything that was mentioned in the post first hand and it doesn't help at all. Anyway, i just want to tell you gracie for this, it gives me a bit more hope to know I'm not alone. I wish you the best and happiness!

    ReplyDelete

rewardStyle: Homepage Feed

© Gracie Francesca | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig